1835 - 1905
||Johann Friederich Kubbernuss |
||John Christoph |
||4 Sep 1835
||Mecklenburg (Germany) [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
||2 Nov 1867
||Castle Garden, New York, New York [3, 4, 5, 6]
- Johann and Wilhelmina left Hamburg, Germany in Oct 1867 aboard the Impèratrice Eugenie. They arrived in New York, passing through the Castle Garden immigration center at the tip of Manhatten on 2 Nov 1867. Castle Garden was the immigration center from 1830 until 1892, the year Ellis Island opened. This was the first of three immigrations of the Christian and Sophia Kubbernuss family to Berrien County, Michigan.
||21 Feb 1905
||Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan 
||24 Feb 1905
||Forest Lawn Cemetery, Berrien County, Michigan 
||2 Nov 2013 |
||Christian Christoph Friederich Kubbernuss, b. Abt 1817, Lehnenhof, Dargun Parish, Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Germany) , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Sophia Elisabeth Magdalena Burmeister, b. Abt 1817, Schorrentin, Schorrentin Parish, Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Germany) , d. Yes, date unknown |
||25 Oct 1831
||Schorrentin, Schorrentin Parish, Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Germany)
||Wilhelmina Sodemann, b. 8 Dec 1842, Mecklenburg (Germany) , d. 1 Jun 1915, Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan [4, 7] |
||Mecklenburg (Germany) [1, 2, 3, 5]
| ||1. Ella Kubbernuss, b. Abt 1873, Michigan , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Herbert Kubbernuss, b. Jan 1875, Berrien County, Michigan , d. Abt 1940, Benton Harbor, Berrien County, Michigan |
| ||3. William Kubbernuss, b. 19 May 1877, Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan , d. 30 Apr 1941, Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan |
| ||4. Annie Emma Scholes Kubbernuss, b. Jul 1878, Berrien County, Michigan , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. John Kubbernuss, b. Jan 1880, Berrien County, Michigan , d. Abt 1940, Oregon |
| ||6. Emma Annie Agnew Kubbernuss, b. 13 Aug 1882, Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan , d. Yes, date unknown|
- [S62] kobernus.com.
- [S319] 1880 US Census, Three Oaks, Berrien County, Michigan. Roll: T9_573; Family History Film: 1254573; Page: 392.2000; Enumeration District: 20; Image: 0128; Lines 26-33. Enumerated 10 June (accessed 10 February 2008). Search = "John Kuppernuss"..
- [S320] 1900 US Census, Three Oaks Township, Berrien County, Michigan. Roll: T623 703; Page: 19A; Lines 18-24. Enumerated 26 June (accessed February 2008). Search = "John Kubbernuss"..
- [S332] New York Passtenger Lists, 1820-1957 (Ancestry), Johann Friedrich Kubbernuss; accessed 10 February 2008. Search = ""J. F., Wilhe KAUBERMUSF". Lines 7-8..
- [S452] Michigan: Seeking Michigan, Death Certificate: Kubbernuss, John C. 4 Sep 1835; 21 Feb 1905, Three Oaks, Berrien County, MI; married age 32; father: Christof Kubbernuss; mother: Sophia Burmaister; death: paralysis (stroke?); buried: 24 Feb, Forest Lawn..
- [S278] Castle Garden Immigration Records, Search = "J.F. or Wilhelmine Kubermuss" (accessed 10 February 2008).
- [S421] Palmer List of Merchant Vessels, (accessed 10 Feb 2008).
The side-paddle steamship IMPÉRATRICE EUGENIE was built for the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique (commonly known as "CGT" or the "French Line") by Chantier de l'Atlantique de Penhoët (a wholly owned subsidiary of CGT), under the supervision of Scott & Co, at San Nazaire, and was launched on 23 April 1864. 3,200 tons; 105,63 x 13,41 meters (length x breadth); straight stem, 2 funnels, 2 masts; iron construction, side-lever engine (by Schneider, Creuzot), service speed 12 knots. The IMPÉRATRICE EUGENIE was intended for CGT's West Indies and Central American service. 16 February 1865, maiden voyage, St. Nazaire-Vera Cruz. In 1871, with the fall of the Empire and the restoration of the French Republic, the IMPÉRATRICE EUGENIE was renamed ATLANTIQUE. 1873, extensively rebuilt by A. Leslie & Co, Hebburn-on-Tyne; length increased to 121,91 meters, tonnage to 4,585; mizzen mast added; paddle wheels removed and converted to single-screw; compound engines by Maudslay, Sons & Field, London; renamed AMÉRIQUE. 16 January 1874, first voyage under new name, Havre-New York. 14 April 1874, on the return voyage, with 83 passengers and 152 crew on board, the AMÉRIQUE encountered a violent storm, and after the passengers and crew were transferred to other vessels, the ship was abandoned; a British ship was sent out from Plymouth to look for her and, finding her still afloat, towed her back to Plymouth, where she was found to be sound, pumped dry, refloated, and taken back to Le Havre, where she underwent further repairs. 13 March 1875, resumed Havre-New York service. March 1876, fitted with "the lighthouse and electric light" (external only). 7 January 1877, stranded off Seabright, New Jersey. 10 April 1877, refloated; repaired. 11 August 1877, resumed Havre-New York service. 1 May 1886, last voyage, Havre-New York. 22 September 1886, first voyage, Havre-Panama. 1888, internal electric lighting installed. 1892, triple-expansion engines. 28 January 1895, wrecked at Savanilla. Sources: Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p 654; John Adams, Ocean Steamers; A History of Ocean-going Passenger Steamshps, 1820-1970 (London: New Cavendish Books, 1993), p. 55.